AGC of Business & Legal Affairs (Technology/Commercial Transactions)
Legal | San Jose | ID: 8138
AGC of Business & Legal Affairs (Technology/Commercial Transactions)
Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the Role
Roku is seeking an experienced and self-motivated technology/commercial transactions attorney to join its legal team. This position will support a wide range of commercial/technology transactions for Roku’s engineering, operations/supply chain, TV platform, whole home audio, streaming media player, and other teams, including for procurement of a range of technology, products, and services.
The successful candidate must have deep experience in negotiating complex technology and commercial agreements, be well-organized, have high attention to detail, have a proven ability to draft agreements from scratch and to handle multiple, complex matters simultaneously and independently without supervision. This is an amazing opportunity to play a key role in supporting the company’s rapid growth.
What you'll be doing
- Draft and negotiate a variety of agreements, including but not limited to, manufacturing agreements, component (e.g., SoC) supply agreements, patent and technology license agreements, development and collaboration agreements, master service agreements, consulting services agreements, and logistics agreements
- Support product and engineering teams by providing guidance on a wide range of legal issues, including contract interpretation and intellectual property rights
- Support M&A transactions, including due diligence, negotiation of key intellectual property and business reps and warranties, and the structuring and negotiation of ancillary licensing and transition services agreements
- Act as a subject matter expert on intellectual property issues (e.g., copyright, trade secret, trademark, and patent) in the context of technology/commercial transactions
- Communicate with executive management and manage outside counsel as needed
- Collaborate cross-functionally with a wide variety of Roku business units and other legal teams
- Support continuous improvement of forms, policies, and processes to help streamline, simplify, and automate relevant contracting processes
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in applicable laws, regulations, and industry trends
We're excited if you have
- At least 7 years of transactional legal experience with an emphasis on technology (including hardware) at both a law firm and in a corporate legal department
- Solid understanding of the different types of intellectual property and of related issues in agreements
- Ability to identify, evaluate and provide risk-appropriate solutions to the business based on excellent legal and business judgment
- Proven ability to succinctly and cogently articulate positions and to draft contracts in clear, concise language
- Are self-sufficient but know when to ask questions and otherwise involve appropriate stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to persuade
- Effective organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and complete them on time
- Familiarity with data protection and privacy issues in the context of technology and commercial transactions
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage aggressive deadlines
- Be a team player who can perform assigned responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Experience working in a cross-department, cross-functional role requiring good relationship building skills
- Prior experience working with high-growth technology companies is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree and a Juris Doctorate degree from a U.S. accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in the State of California (or other appropriate US jurisdiction
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.
Additionally, providing false, misleading, or inaccurate information or responses will void this application and disqualify you from consideration. If employed by Roku, it will result in the immediate termination of employment regardless of when Roku discovers misleading or inaccurate information.
|Data Engineer Intern||Internships||8366||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Operations||003 - INTERN Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Data Engineer Intern||Internships||8366||Austin||Texas||United States||Austin, Texas||Operations||003 - INTERN Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Product Marketing Manager||Product Management||8357||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Marketing||306 - Account Growth Marketing Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Devices FP&A Intern||Internships||8361||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Operations||003 - INTERN Approvals|
|Infrastructure Automation Intern||Internships||8313||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Operations||003 - INTERN Approvals|
|Project Manager, Visual Quality & Design||Creative Experiences||8167||New York||New York||United States||New York||Program Management||245 - Post Launch Experience Approvals|
|Software Engineer Intern, Audio||Internships||8303||Boston||Massachusetts||United States||Boston, Massachusetts||Operations||003 - INTERN Approvals|
|Software Engineer Intern, Audio||Internships||8303||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Operations||003 - INTERN Approvals|