Senior Director, Platform Business Communications
Corporate Affairs & Communications | Santa Monica | ID: 6669
Senior Director, Platform Business Communications
Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the Role
We are looking for a Communications expert to lead corporate and B2B communications for the Platform Business, with a focus on supporting and collaborating with our content distribution and advertising teams as well as The Roku Channel programming team. This role will manage the communications leads for those respective business areas.
This role oversees communications strategies that advance the company and explain Roku advantages, market position and customers successes. The ideal candidate is a team player who will focus on business and industry press, collaborating with Roku's wider Corporate, Distribution, Ad Industry, and Programming communications agendas. The role will manage a growing team and report to the Vice President of Global Communications; Roku is headquartered in San Jose with offices in Santa Monica , New York, and Austin.
What you'll be doing
- Work closely with business and communications leaders to create the big picture strategy to spotlight the key elements of Roku's content distribution, advertising and programming strategies and the benefits they bring to publishers
- Collaborate, develop and maintain the corporate narrative for the overall platform business and prepare story ideas that highlight Roku's business advantages and the successes of Platform Business customers
- Must be a team player with the ability to collaborate and work closely with other members of the Communications team, especially the Director of Corporate Communications; Senior Director of Consumer & Product and International Communications leaders to tell a cohesive story
- Manage Platform PR team leads responsible for overseeing advertising, content distribution and entertainment communications
- Announce new content partnerships and distribution arrangements to the industry and business audiences
- Develop communications plans to support successful partnership negotiations;
- Strengthen relationships with key trade press to highlight Roku's strategies and competitive advantages
- Prepare key spokespeople for media interactions and speaking opportunities
- Identify high visibility opportunities for the Platform business and its senior leaders (e.g., events, conferences, etc.)
- Produce top notch key messages, press releases, one pagers, presentations, Q&A's, thought leadership pieces, bylined articles, executive briefing materials and other communications assets
- Drive Platform Business external events to successful business outcomes
- Support Roku's government relations outreach with respect to relevant subjects
- Act as an effective company spokesperson as needed
We're excited if you have
- 15+ years of PR experience (ideally combination in-house and PR firm) with significant time spent in media, advertising or other related sectors
- Must have experience working at a public company - mid-to-large size preferred
- Strong roster of relationships with the business and trade press who cover media, TV and advertising
- Ability to foster strong relationships with key executives and act as counsel in corporate PR matters
- Understanding of the content distribution landscape, distribution and renewal dynamics as well as good command of programming approaches in an OTT and traditional media environment
- Significant experience in crisis and issues management
- Knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment around content distribution and programming and ability to support communications with key stakeholders
- Passion for the transition of traditional TV to OTT
- Track record of helping a business seize mindshare in a competitive or noisy marketplace
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Positive and collaborative personality; a commitment to ensuring all activities undertaken are as successful as possible
- Excellent communications skills and stellar writer who knows AP style well
- Good judgment and calm composure particularly in high pressure times
- Trustworthy and able to keep highly sensitive information confidential
- Able to independently structure and manage workflow and priorities
- College degree
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.
Additionally, providing false, misleading, or inaccurate information or responses will void this application and disqualify you from consideration. If employed by Roku, it will result in the immediate termination of employment regardless of when Roku discovers misleading or inaccurate information.
|Senior UX Researcher, International||User Experience||8143||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||User Experience||369 - User Experience Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Payroll Manager EMEA||Finance||7833||London||England||United Kingdom||London, England||Finance||409 - Tax, Treasury & Shared Services Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Amsterdam||North Holland||Netherlands||Amsterdam, North Holland||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Austin||Texas||United States||Austin, Texas||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Cambridge||England||United Kingdom||Milton, Cambridge, England||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Sr. SW Engineer, Browse & Discovery||Software Engineering||7794||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Software Engineering||224 - Search & Recommendations Approvals|
|Accounting Manager - Content||Finance||8142||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Finance||410 - Accounting Approvals|