Senior QA Engineer
Software Engineering | Cambridge | ID: 7888
Senior QA Engineer
Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the Team
With so many people using our products globally, we've become well-known for products that "just work" right out of the box and integrate almost by magic. That doesn't happen by accident, which is why we are committed to making sure our products aren't just intuitive, they're obvious. To support that commitment, the Roku OS QA Team focuses on testing all products and features for the industry's most reliable streaming media platform. Our goal is to help people find what they want and make it easier for people to stream. We accomplish this using state of the art technology and engineering to make it happen, with consideration for the customer as the center of all that we do.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced and versatile Sr. QA Engineer for major product releases. This QA Engineer position requires a good understanding of software life cycle, strong experience with testing techniques, and strong written and organizational skills. In this position, you will perform an effective and organized test process that releases the highest quality product possible and help bring those projects to market on time.
You will be joining a talented, high-performance team with a history of delivery. We are looking for someone who can help us keep up this pace and continue delivering high quality as we grow.
What you'll be doing
- Own both manual and automated testing
- Drive features and project to completeness
- Review product specifications
- Collaborate with UI/UX, and development throughout the software development life cycle
- Develop and execute test plans and test cases, using manual and automated testing, for new products/features and ensure adequate test coverage
- Convert manual test cases into reliable, repeatable automated tests
- Debug failing tests to improve product and automated test quality
- Promote coding conventions and standards for code re-usability and cleanliness
- Conduct code reviews for improved code quality and optimization
- Develop test strategies to meet deadlines
- Drive end-to-end testing of firmware
- Capable of driving tasks and schedules to meet both development and QA requirements
- Reproduce, isolate, and debug issues, providing detailed bug reports
- Participate on the bug triage process
- Record all test results for each test suite and report on results and disseminate information to provide a high-level summary of areas tested
- Assist in the certification process for partner devices to ensure compatibility with Roku
- Interface with beta users and participate in bug triage process
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate quality testing activities
We're excited if you have
- 6+ years Quality Assurance experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with automation systems and unit testing
- 2+ years of programming experience, preferably with Python
- Strong problem solving, analytical and technical troubleshooting skills
- Solid knowledge and experience developing test plans and test cases
- Strong debugging skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Research and documentation skills
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related
- Experience with big data analytics: Splunk, ELK, Hive, Redshift, etc. (nice to have)
- In depth knowledge of streaming back-ends and formats (nice to have)
- Experience working with Smart/Digital TV (HDMI), Setup Boxes, Wi-Fi (2.4Ghz & 5GHz), TV remote controllers (nice to have)
- International product experience (nice to have)
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.
Additionally, providing false, misleading, or inaccurate information or responses will void this application and disqualify you from consideration. If employed by Roku, it will result in the immediate termination of employment regardless of when Roku discovers misleading or inaccurate information.
|Senior UX Researcher, International||User Experience||8143||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||User Experience||369 - User Experience Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Payroll Manager EMEA||Finance||7833||London||England||United Kingdom||London, England||Finance||409 - Tax, Treasury & Shared Services Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Amsterdam||North Holland||Netherlands||Amsterdam, North Holland||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Austin||Texas||United States||Austin, Texas||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Cambridge||England||United Kingdom||Milton, Cambridge, England||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Sr. SW Engineer, Browse & Discovery||Software Engineering||7794||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Software Engineering||224 - Search & Recommendations Approvals|
|Accounting Manager - Content||Finance||8142||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Finance||410 - Accounting Approvals|