Manager SW Engineering, Mobile
Software Engineering | Cambridge | ID: 7991
Manager SW Engineering, Mobile
Teamwork makes the stream work.
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About The Role
With so many people using our products globally, we've become well-known for products that "just work" right out of the box and integrate almost by magic. That doesn't happen by accident, so we are committed to ensuring our products aren't just intuitive; they're apparent. The Roku Mobile team focuses on building a streaming platform that is the best in the industry at understanding customer requests to support that commitment. Our goal is to help people find what they want and make it easier for people to stream. We use state-of-the-art technology and engineering to make it happen, considering the customer as the centre of everything.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Roku Mobile team's architecture, development, and roadmap. If you are a strong engineering leader with a passion for creating great user experiences for Roku Mobile apps, fanatical about driving business value, passionate about building sustainable consumer-facing products and solutions, energetic about abstracting problem complexity into intuitive-to-use and specific Mobile features, innovative in developing SDKs and APIs, read on and apply!
We seek a natural-born problem solver, who loves taking on new challenges, learns quickly/eagerly, and is concise and articulate in speech and writing. Someone who can make tough decisions without excessive agonizing while challenging norms to deliver outstanding results. You should find this exciting and enjoy the idea of working with a team of excellent people to compete in this space.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Manage a team of Senior iOS and Android engineers where everyone is welcomed, valued, and respected regardless of their differences.
- Grow a high-performing team that owns the product and is empowered to build exceptional consumer experiences.
- Work closely with your team and broader business organizations like Product Management and User Experience teams to determine and champion longer-term team direction and technology strategy.
- Architect and develop highly performant and scalable consumer-facing features on the Roku Mobile app, meeting the demands of a rapidly growing business.
- When you see problems, you fix them.
- Make important design decisions around architecture and balance long-term and short-term business deliverables.
- Coach, mentor, and support mobile engineers on the technical and non-technical issues ensuring high productivity of your team members.
- Participate as part of the scrum team to plan and commit at the sprint and release levels.
- Ensure on-time and high-quality delivery of the project and new product launches.
- Contribute to infrastructure and process improvement within development organization, scaling solutions to adapt to demand.
- Institute and adopt best engineering practices.
- Think big and ship quickly, and move fast with small iterations.
- As part of a team, you will be responsible for building applications that give customers access to free premium streaming services to enhance the streaming experience.
We’re excited if you have
- 3+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience in SDK, U.I./client-side framework, API design and development
- Have technical chops from your previous life as a senior-level or team lead as a software engineer.
- Proactively gives and receives feedback; is not afraid to have difficult conversations.
- Comfort and experience splitting time between hands-on technical efforts and managing a team, working with various stakeholders, other business and engineering teams, and end-to-end feature development.
- Experience as a software development lead or manager, building and leading high-performance mobile client engineering teams. You have demonstrable leadership, people management, and communication skills.
- Have a good understanding of core problems that any mobile architecture must solve.
- Have organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Able to work through ambiguous requirements and make critical decisions to progress and evolve the platform.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related degree.
- Experience in the development and successful delivery of consumer-focused digital media products.
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.
Additionally, providing false, misleading, or inaccurate information or responses will void this application and disqualify you from consideration. If employed by Roku, it will result in the immediate termination of employment regardless of when Roku discovers misleading or inaccurate information.
|Senior UX Researcher, International||User Experience||8143||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||User Experience||369 - User Experience Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Payroll Manager EMEA||Finance||7833||London||England||United Kingdom||London, England||Finance||409 - Tax, Treasury & Shared Services Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Amsterdam||North Holland||Netherlands||Amsterdam, North Holland||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals||Teamwork makes the stream work. Roku is changing how the world watches TV Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be ...|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Austin||Texas||United States||Austin, Texas||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Senior Payment & Risk Analyst||Product Management||8150||Cambridge||England||United Kingdom||Milton, Cambridge, England||Product Management||440 - Roku Pay Approvals|
|Sr. SW Engineer, Browse & Discovery||Software Engineering||7794||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Software Engineering||224 - Search & Recommendations Approvals|
|Accounting Manager - Content||Finance||8142||San Jose||California||United States||San Jose, California||Finance||410 - Accounting Approvals|